My fellow College Coach admissions consultants and I get asked a number of questions each year regarding senior high school course selection and college applications . Universities want to see you challenge yourself whenever possible in the context of your senior high school , and can not compare programs options across high schools. The majority of colleges do not have a preference between AP and IB lessons , which suggests you should really instead focus on challenging yourself whenever possible with the classes available to you at your school.
The Advanced Placement (AP) Plan
The AP program offers students a challenging, fast-paced learning environment. Commonly taken in junior and senior year, students can pick which individual subjects to take in the AP level depending on what is offered at their school.
- AP programs are created to be hands-on experiential understanding opportunities. Whether students are analyzing primary source documents in a background class or monitoring the actual respiration rate associated with peas in a biology lab, the delivery of content extends far beyond rote memorization.
- Learners are expected to manage their time and workload independently, just as they will in college.
- Learners with strong scores may be granted college credit or advanced placement by the colleges where these people matriculate. Every college accepts these exams differently, offering credit and/or placement based on different cutoff ratings.
- Optionally available end-of-year nationwide exams cost $89. Need-based fee reductions are available through The College Plank.
The International Baccalaureate (IB) Programme
The IB Programme provides students with a globally-relevant understanding base as well as a powerful toolkit for identifying, analyzing, and communicating problems, suggestions, and options.
- The IB Programme seeks to develop students as creative and analytical thinkers and communicators; coursework relies on class discussions and frequent written response or even studies.
- Educational institutions must undergo extensive evaluation by the Worldwide Baccalaureate Organization regarding objective and philosophy before they can offer the actual IB plan.
- The Complete IB Diploma Programme with regard to juniors and seniors which all students consider college-level coursework in 6 core academic areas: English language and literature, foreign language, social science, experimental science, mathematics, and either the arts or perhaps a second subject in one of the very first five core areas.
- Learners can pursue individual IB courses through the Certificate plan, which does not include any of the additional specifications mentioned beneath.
- To complete the Full Degree , students are required to make a 4, 500 word “extended article. ” Expanding with an academic area appealing under the assistance of an advisor, the project prepares students for the impartial research, creating, and creative activity they will encounter in college.
- Learners also engage in after school activities that demand imagination, action, and service in personally improving ways for typically three hrs weekly.
- Complete Diploma candidates must consider exams in all six subject areas. Exams usually emphasize essays, response questions, case studies, and area work or oral delivering presentations as appropriate.
- Universities that award credit or even placement for powerful AP exam scores are apt to have similar policies with regard to IB exams.
- One-time exam registration fee is about $150 and each exam taken expenses about $100, though many schools subsidize these costs for students.
That is better??
Do not standard response to this issue. As you think about senior high school planning choices , be sure you be familiar with academic plan, along with the after school opportunities you can accessibility. Since colleges do not have a preference between the applications, and it’s most likely that the collegiate credit and advanced placement you earn will be comparable regardless of the plan you pursue, this is a decision to create based on your learning preferences as well as your educational viewpoint.